The invasion of Alkmaar by German troops took place without any skirmishes. Netherlands had capitulated, preventing further bloodshed. Still, the contrast for the observing citizens was huge. The mobilised, badly-equipped Dutch troops were replaced in the streets by heavily-armed Germans. In the first few days of the war Alkmaar had been rushed into being host to a major part of the Amersfoort population who were in danger of finding themselves in the firing line in their town. That they managed with the resources of the day to feed and shelter an unexpected 20000 people is little short of a miracle. In 1941 the grateful Amersfoorters donated a splendid stained-glass window, which found a place in the town hall. The persecution of the Jews resulted in all Jewish Alkmaarders being sent to the concentration camps via Amsterdam and Westerbork on March 5th 1942. The Drukker family, for instance, via Westerbork and Theresienstadt ended up in Auschwitz from which they did not return. Some of these people returned after the war. The town has so-called Stolpersteine, stumbling stones, to show where the deported Jews used to live. In 2009 the former synagogue in the Hofstraat could be returned to the Jewish community after careful restoration. The synagogue has since served in a cultural capacity in our town. Beside the Jewish victims many more were killed after joining the resistance. From 1943 on Alkmaar had a brave fighting crew, operating all over the province. Treason and ambushes led to the loss of many young men’s lives. Best-known is Frits Conijn. On the Harddraverslaan the Alkmaar War Memorial can be found where five members of the resistance, victims of an execution on November 17th 1944, are honoured. Just before the liberation there were food-droppings from the air which the hungry Alkmaar population had been eagerly awaiting. Shortly afterwards, on 5th May 1945 there were major festivities in the Langestraat and in town-squares. However, not on the Westerweg and on the Schaepmanplein, where internment camps were formed for those arrested townspeople who were on the German side during the war.